All Images are Copyright of William Owens
William Pepperrell House (late 17th - early 18th century), Kittery Point, Maine. Pepperrell led the 1745 Louisbourg expedition which captured the feared French fort on Cape Breton Island. For this he was made a baronet.
Lady Pepperrell House (1760) Kittery, Maine; Facade from south. Her husband, Sir William, died in 1759. This elegant new home - far more pretentious than the old house at Kittery Point was completed in 1760. The salient Georgian architectural features are the central pavilion with a modillioned pediment and full two-story Ionic pilasters, and the block quoins which also adorn the full height of the house.
Lady Pepperrell House (1760), Kittery, Maine; Detail of pavilion. Note the bracketed hood over the front door.
Lady Pepperrell House (1760), Kittery, Maine; Facade from east.
Rockingham Meeting House (1787), Rockingham, Vermont; South facade and east end. An interesting comparison with the Rocky Hill Meeting House in Amesbury, Massachusetts shown on the fourth page of the 18th Century Massachusetts Gallery. Both meeting houses stood unused for decades which helped preserve the historic integrity of the buildings. Rockingham Meeting House has many windows! It sits atop a high hill in rural Southeastern Vermont. There are stair porches on each end and handsome angular pediments over each of the three entrances.
Rockingham Meeting House (1787), Rockingham, Vermont; Interior showing pulpit with sounding board backed by an arched window. We see pews and gallery and can understand that in daylight the interior was well lit!
Rockingham Meeting House (1787), Rockingham, Vermont; Profile of north side.
Rockingham Meeting House (1787), Rockingham, Vermont; View of north side from historic cemetery behind the meeting house,
Walloomsac Inn (1771). Possibly the oldest building in Bennington, Vermont, it was known as Dewey's Tavern when Jefferson and Madison stayed here on a visit to Vermont in1791. The building is now privately owned.
Walloomsac Inn and addition. Showing the inn with adjoining nineteenth century addition.